Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Welcome to Legacies Reborn!
WE ARE OPEN
~1000 Members and Counting~

Hidden Attacks In Posts

Go down 
+4
Souji
Nike the Magnus
Tang Hao
Midas
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Midas

Hidden Attacks In Posts Mn0V2lp

Unranked

Ninja Info Card
Ryo: 0

Hidden Attacks In Posts Empty
PostSubject: Hidden Attacks In Posts   Hidden Attacks In Posts Empty11th January 2018, 1:55 pm

If I could make a suggestion since rules are being reformed, one of the cheesiest ways Ive seen people lose fights in rp is through unclear attacks. For example, the shitpost thread if any of you remember. Gambit hid attacks in metaphors to kill anyone coming into the thread. While figurative language is fun, it should be clear what's happening in a post considering you're acting as character who can physically see whats happening. Your character's knowledge should be accurate in your writing.
Back to top Go down
Tang Hao

Hidden Attacks In Posts K22nFUP

PostSubject: Re: Hidden Attacks In Posts   Hidden Attacks In Posts Empty11th January 2018, 2:07 pm

Hey, Gambit here. I'm fine with banning shitty things like metaphor posts because they easy to counter anyways, but there are some other attacks that are easy to notice if you are competent and easy to miss if you are not. The latter type of attack posts are usually just a bit misleading in the way they are presented rather than being some dumb metaphor post. The problem with metaphor posts is that they are usually extremely vague and the attacker can just manipulate his own wordplay to claim it meant something completely different from what he originally intended to to mean. If the attack in question is presented in such a way that all relevant description has been provided, than I dont see any problem with the way its presented, so long as they aren't just leaving the lines describing it at random parts throughout the post. Mind you, I havn't even seen anything remotely close to a metaphor post within the last 4 years, with the last one I saw being some awful poetry based attacked that got the guy killed.

So I'm fine with banning metaphor attacks and such, but there should still be some leeway for creative but accurate presentations of what your character did.
Back to top Go down
Nike the Magnus

Hidden Attacks In Posts YiM50Vl
Nike the Magnus

D Rank

Ninja Info Card
Ryo: 55000

PostSubject: Re: Hidden Attacks In Posts   Hidden Attacks In Posts Empty13th January 2018, 10:45 pm

I think we can try and work it in, however we need to be careful too, because we have genjutsu, and that can get a bit metaphorical at times. If you do not mind, I will put this as request status, so we can continue to know to discuss.
Back to top Go down
Souji

Hidden Attacks In Posts LZy5BBF
Souji

Ninja Info Card
Ryo: 2,190,000

PostSubject: Re: Hidden Attacks In Posts   Hidden Attacks In Posts Empty14th January 2018, 9:49 am

I am all for this as well, however I must admit that my reason for growing bored with rping stems from this very problem. I'm well fluent in metaphoric post, something when done correctly only seasoned rpers can develop without being vague of whether it was an attack or a random question. My problem was being lenient when it comes to encounters with other player. Yes, making it clear that you are attacking, or that you have hidden an explosive tag on one of the many throw kunai laughed at your enemy. These things of transparency can kill the experience, mainly because at that point you enemy sees all that is coming their way. It is rather frustrating, leaving a foul taste in the mouth.... What is the remedy for this situation should it arise again? Certainly we cannot have one players choosing when and when not to be hit, can we?
Back to top Go down
Naru Hyuuga

Naru Hyuuga

PostSubject: Re: Hidden Attacks In Posts   Hidden Attacks In Posts Empty14th January 2018, 11:59 am

This is only a problem because the aforementioned hidden attacks mostly always lead to the victim's death. If the death of a player's character wasn't an issue, I doubt hidden/metaphoric posts would be a problem.

"yer, I 1posted him. what a nub."

Maaybeee make a death rule.
Back to top Go down
Tang Hao

PostSubject: Re: Hidden Attacks In Posts   Hidden Attacks In Posts Empty14th January 2018, 1:23 pm

Naru Hyuuga wrote:
This is only a problem because the aforementioned hidden attacks mostly always lead to the victim's death. If the death of a player's character wasn't an issue, I doubt hidden/metaphoric posts would be a problem.

Hidden Attacks In Posts Giphy

I didn't know the carebear epidemic had reached this far. This forum is the last place that people would be okay making antideath rules for people too incompetent to survive a combat post. If you want to prevent needless killing then you would just have to be stricter on people's IC motivations to kill. In the past all the competent people just made characters that could kill on any random justification they could come up with at the moment. Like Dandy and I just decided to massacre most of the people in konoha because we didnt like the hokage and because we saw her husband eating a potato. Stuff like that should be more harshly scrutinized rather than saying "oh I dont want to die so you cant kill me haha" as you run around blowing shit up or entering high level combat threads and events.
Back to top Go down
Yamida

Yamida

PostSubject: Re: Hidden Attacks In Posts   Hidden Attacks In Posts Empty14th January 2018, 2:09 pm

Tang Hao wrote:
Naru Hyuuga wrote:

Hidden Attacks In Posts Giphy

I didn't know the carebear epidemic had reached this far. This forum is the last place that people would be okay making antideath rules for people too incompetent to survive a combat post. If you want to prevent needless killing then you would just have to be stricter on people's IC motivations to kill. In the past all the competent people just made characters that could kill on any random justification they could come up with at the moment. Like Dandy and I just decided to massacre most of the people in konoha because we didnt like the hokage and because we saw her husband eating a potato. Stuff like that should be more harshly scrutinized rather than saying "oh I dont want to die so you cant kill me haha" as you run around blowing shit up or entering high level combat threads and events.

^
Back to top Go down
Naru Hyuuga

Naru Hyuuga

PostSubject: Re: Hidden Attacks In Posts   Hidden Attacks In Posts Empty14th January 2018, 2:45 pm

There's nothing wrong with being sensitive to the death of your creation. People are emotional. A death rule doesn't necessarily mean not allowing a character's death. It can range from anything to having a justified motivation to kill like you mentioned to... whatever your mind can conjure.

Back to top Go down
Souji

Souji

Ninja Info Card

PostSubject: Re: Hidden Attacks In Posts   Hidden Attacks In Posts Empty14th January 2018, 3:09 pm

A death rule wound be babysitting players logic in posts. For example, if I used Kirin, and S ranked jutsu on another player point blank, their character did not dodge and took a direct hit, should they be alive, or should they perish? The death rule gives players a taste of immortality. I need your permission to take your life, and I am a ninja? It will not sit well. The idea was nice, but sometimes being nice is foolhardy
Back to top Go down
@ Sinna Stark

Hidden Attacks In Posts 8wKG0sB
@ Sinna Stark

PostSubject: Re: Hidden Attacks In Posts   Hidden Attacks In Posts Empty14th January 2018, 8:44 pm

Honestly, I'm with Gambit on this. Want to limit random and senseless murdering? Actually take time to read personalities and the dealings of what goes on in the confines of the IC lore.
Back to top Go down
Souji

Souji

Ninja Info Card

PostSubject: Re: Hidden Attacks In Posts   Hidden Attacks In Posts Empty14th January 2018, 8:48 pm

And it's really as simple as that.... the fundamentals will take you far. By understanding who you are going into a topic with and remaining on guard from the very start you will not become a victim of a senseless murder.
Back to top Go down
Naru Hyuuga

Naru Hyuuga

PostSubject: Re: Hidden Attacks In Posts   Hidden Attacks In Posts Empty14th January 2018, 9:29 pm

Oookaay.

afro
Back to top Go down
Ruby Rose

Ruby Rose

PostSubject: Re: Hidden Attacks In Posts   Hidden Attacks In Posts Empty16th January 2018, 3:00 am

For the hidden attack thing, that's simple enough. Have people include a list of all the attacks, abilties, items or whatever else they used at the end of their post.
Back to top Go down
Nike the Magnus

Hidden Attacks In Posts YiM50Vl
Nike the Magnus

D Rank

Ninja Info Card
Ryo: 55000

PostSubject: Re: Hidden Attacks In Posts   Hidden Attacks In Posts Empty16th January 2018, 10:57 am

So, a bit harsher on the sociopath personalities. I think that is reasonable expectation. Lets give it a shot
Back to top Go down
Souji

Souji

Ninja Info Card

PostSubject: Re: Hidden Attacks In Posts   Hidden Attacks In Posts Empty16th January 2018, 6:58 pm

I do find it fair. Why not.
Back to top Go down
@ Sinna Stark

@ Sinna Stark

PostSubject: Re: Hidden Attacks In Posts   Hidden Attacks In Posts Empty16th January 2018, 7:36 pm

Ruby Rose wrote:
For the hidden attack thing, that's simple enough.  Have people include a list of all the attacks, abilties, items or whatever else they used at the end of their post.  

No, not spoon feeding any rpers.
Back to top Go down
Ruby Rose

Ruby Rose

PostSubject: Re: Hidden Attacks In Posts   Hidden Attacks In Posts Empty17th January 2018, 3:26 am

@ Sinna Stark wrote:
Ruby Rose wrote:
For the hidden attack thing, that's simple enough.  Have people include a list of all the attacks, abilties, items or whatever else they used at the end of their post.  

A battle between characters should be just that, between characters. Not between the players themselves where the best way to win is to try and slip stuff though the cracks using metaphores in order to call hits.

A wise person once said that superior roleplayers are determined by the stories they tell, not by how they can trick their peers.
Back to top Go down
Tang Hao

PostSubject: Re: Hidden Attacks In Posts   Hidden Attacks In Posts Empty17th January 2018, 4:21 pm

Ruby Rose wrote:
@ Sinna Stark wrote:
Ruby Rose wrote:

A battle between characters should be just that, between characters.  Not between the players themselves where the best way to win is to try and slip stuff though the cracks using metaphores in order to call hits.  

A wise person once said that superior roleplayers are determined by the stories they tell, not by how they can trick their peers.

While combat roleplay is a battle between characters, it is also a battle between writers. You people think that literally every combat post done by good combat rpers has some hidden trick that's impossible for the normal person to notice. While many posts have at least one or two tricks in them meant to kill idiots who don't know how to read, most of them very blatantly say every action and when exactly each action occurred. The problem lies with people who don't read the glaringly obvious lines that say thing like "i attacked at this specific moment in time by the time this specific action finished." People are becoming too focused on trying to get rid of all the dumb rp tricks when nobody even does them anymore. The only people that used to fuck around with things like that were me and Mack. Mack no longer rps and I think metaphor posts are shit.

Mind you I don't think I've ever even seen someone create a compelling character arc or narrative on a forumotion forum. Social rpers tend to be pretty mediocre on forumotion, so the narratives formed through combat tend to be a hell of a lot more compelling than your average, kawaii, gary stu genin going around catching cats in broken english. While he does that, other people more inclined towards combat have the option of having their character go through actual life and death struggles, or by having their moral challenged by the actions of others. If you want your character to have good development potential, the first step is to not be shit enough for some guy to walk into your thread and blatantly hit you with a fruit, only to balk and perform your actions at the wrong time because you didn't read their post correctly.
Back to top Go down
Naru Hyuuga

Naru Hyuuga

PostSubject: Re: Hidden Attacks In Posts   Hidden Attacks In Posts Empty17th January 2018, 7:22 pm

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hidden Attacks In Posts   Hidden Attacks In Posts Empty

Back to top Go down

Hidden Attacks In Posts
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Social Board :: General Discussion-
Jump to: